Wednesday 17 February 2010

Illusion and Dimension

I am about to embark on an exploration into the mathematical and philosophical theories of infinity. There are many paradoxical and barely imaginable concepts related to this field, and for my self-set brief I want to communicate the intellectual stimulation and disorientation that I felt when I began to explore infinity. When discussing the idea of infinity in relation to the universe, ideas are raised regarding parallel worlds and multiple existences. One angle argues that if we keep counting, we will eventually hit the highest number - a number so large that it can not be imagined -and subsequently reach zero again. We can visualise this as a journey around the world; you can keep on travelling endlessly across the circumferance of the planet but you will inevitably reach your starting point as you continue to move.
While considering imagery that can visually translate the theme of this idea, I turned my attention to visual and perspective illusion. While it is only a starting point for my visual exploration, I like how the interactive function of the image challenges the viewer to spend a bit longer with the piece and experience the unexpected.

 

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment