Tuesday 4 May 2010

Redesigning my CV

Over the three years, I have had several CVs. As my layout skills have improved, it is inevitable that I will see fatal flaws within previous efforts and want to rectify my integrity. Recently I have updated it once again. While I have looked at many CVs to pinpoint exactly how much information is required, it struck me that creating one that looks different to the others is incredibly difficult. It will presumably turn out that the excitingly original layout or content will render the CV unprofessional, thus making me appear unemployable. For this reason, I have chosen to lay out the work with pragmatic style. I have concentrated on using the white space to make the information flow, ensuring that it is digestible. The content is minimal, but contains the important information. The nine/ eighteen (landscape) column grid system is relatively rigid to obtain order and not detract from the legibility of the copy text. I had to remind myself that the employer does not want to see a work of creativity; that is what the portfolio will showcase. The emphasis is on communicating pragmatic information in an efficient manner. For this reason, the CV is in black and white, with the only decoration being typographic. I have created both an inital landscape and subsequent portrait variation as I could not decide which was more effective. It may be that I use both formats depending on how appropriate each one is in relation to the recipient. Here is the landcape version below.




No comments:

Post a Comment