Tuesday 4 May 2010

Translating Skills

Recently I have recieved requests for web design. It is immediately clear at this early stage in my career that web design is where the demand is. With Adobe software now a household name - particularly photoshop - it is possible for non-designers to put their own print work together. Although often crude, bitmapped and poorly layed out, this work is a possiblility whereas the prospect of making a website remains unfeasable to the untrained person. It is certainly a technical process, where many will attest that they 'are not web designers', that they 'love print'. I see this is an admission that they are unwilling to put effort into overcoming the technical unknown and becoming the complete designer. I can't say I am unhappy about this as it gives my web skills extra prominence in an interview situation.

I was asked by photographer to create a slideshow portfolio website. He had a logo, but I offered some mock up alternatives (below)















Although not my most refined piece of work, it was a chance to play around with a logo. I noticed that Rob can look a bit like a camera, which is really the concept that these roughs demonstrate. He opted to keep his original which I did not like much, but it is important to remember to put the client's needs first.

The website was intended as a portfolio first and foremost, so the work is the focus. I built a flash slideshow that allows the user to pause on a photo by rolling over the image, and resuming by rolling off. It is relativiely simple as a flash piece, but it offered unique learning experiences and difficulties that can only help me grow as a rounded designer.

Here are some screenshots of the site:













No comments:

Post a Comment